Kilmeena 2-11  Charlestown B  1-13

Kilmeena Seniors crowned their league title with a close fought victory over a strong Charlestown team. This game was played at Bekan on Friday last, and turned out to be a cracker of a game between two evenly matched teams. Kilmeena were missing a list of regulars through injury, illness, and holidays, and Charlestown fielded a team which included a good few first team members.
Charlestown started the game with the upper hand and got off to a two point lead, and in a game that was taking its time to settle down Kilmeena got off the mark with a couple of scores of their own. Both teams were playing some good football, and again Charlestown opened up a two point gap. At this stage Charlestown were posing a real threat to the Kilmeena goal with Andrew Grealis pulling off two excellent saves
 Then a fine flowing move ended with Seanie Barrett in space just inside the penalty area. Without hesitation he picked his spot and the ball thundered into the top corner of the net. If this goal was scored in a high profile county game we'd be talking about if for years. It really was that special. Now Kilmeena really had their tails up and soon after another exhiliirating move left Alan Ryan inside the cover and his sweet low drive found the net. Still Charlestown refused to lie down and finished the half with a brace of points to leave the half time score;
Kilmeena 2-3   Charlestown  0-8
The second half started at a frenetic pace, and early scores were exchanged with by both sides. However, Kilmeena gradually got to grip with the Charlestown danger men, and the Kilmeena boys were beginning to dominate their men individually and a flurry of excellent scores opened up a 5 point gap. Among the pick of them were fine scores from Paul Groden, John Ryan and Darragh Keaveney. The game was now entering its final ten minutes but Charlestown would not lie down. A point was then followed up with a long ball which resulted in an opportunist goal. Kilmeena pulled away with another score from Darragh Keaveney, but Charlestown hit back twice to level things up as the game entered injury time, and then that man Joey Smyth stepped up to stroke over a majestic score from distance. There was enough time for Charlestown to mount a series of raids but their efforts foundered on the solid rock that was the Kilmeena defence, and thus the seasons unbeaten league run was confirmed at the final whistle.
It was only fitting that the league trophy was presented to Liam Heanue at the end, who has led this team and soldiered with them in the trenches. Nicholas Keane accompanied him in the lifting of the trophy. Nicks brother James "Stanley" Keane could not be with us on Friday due to a stay in hospital, but Jamesie, like so many others is a vital component in this squad, and his attention to his water duties is greatly appreciated by everyone.
Best for Kilmeena on the night were Andrew Grealis, Joey Smyth, Niall Feehan
Scorers  Darragh Keaveney 0-5 (1f), Sean Barrett 1-0, Alan Ryan 1-0, 
Joey Smyth 0-3, Paul Groden 0-2, John Ryan 0-1
Match Report: John Doherty